Setting Up SharePoint Search Error: The Web application at could not be found.

If you are receiving this error:
The Web application at <URL> could not be found. Verify that you have typed the URL correctly. If the URL should be serving existing content, the system administrator may need to add a new request URL mapping to the intended application.

Take a look in Central Administration > Operations > Alternate Access Mappings.

If there is no DNS entry for the server, replace the server name with the IP address. This will get your search capabilities working in most cases.

Here is a little background in my case that might help you. I setup a TFS server and wanted to configure the underlying WSS (Windows SharePoint Services).

Hope this helps!

Groupwise Rules Not Working

So this is a great one I discovered. If your rules are not working, delete the criteria for the new rule you added and TYPE it back in. It turns out that if you copy and paste from an email message/subject/to/from there is potential that it will not work. I think it is because it uses two kinds of encoding.

I wasted time on this so you don’t have to 🙂